Casting off at last

After farewelling Cathe I joined Easso and Fin back at the boat. 

The reality of being isolated in a non-functioning boat in the sweltering tropical heat nailed home the realities. My best friend and lover had gone back to Australia... WTF was this vainglorious idea?  What had I been thinking? Was I really up for this? 

I could go on quite a bit longer in this vein. I certainly did then and many times since. But I had vehemently and most certainly cast the die. Gears were set in motion that could not readily be reversed. 

To avoid dwelling on emotional and existential crises, my bent is to focus on the practicalities... On paper this project made sense, even if at other, deeper levels it was fraught..

Giovanni the mechanic had been relentless. After 2 day's of sleuthing in the sweltering engine room he got the motor running...  We were operational. 

The lure of some more swell on the horizon suggested we try our luck at Haapiti on Moorea. 


Wow. Haapiti, what a spot. Unbelievable glassy azure water, sunsets to die for, and a wicked surf break 3 minutes by dinghy ride from the anchorage. 


After a couple of blissful days getting a taste of what the groove could be it was time to head back to Tahiti, pick up Marco, and head back to Vairao, but this time by sea. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A change of crew and a final surf

Matuku, surfing shallow reefs, and some guests

Videographer Extraordinaire